HND HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
The Higher National Diploma in Hospitality Management (HND) is a vocational course. This means that not only do you learn the theoretical aspects but it also provides you with ability to relate this to the real world of work. Evaluating the application of these theories and concepts puts you at an advantage of being a strategic thinker and proactive manager in turbulent economic times.
You won’t have to write any exams during your HND; instead you will focus on gaining practical, applicable skills through real-world case studies and group and individual assignments. You will develop the leadership, operational and administration skills you need for a truly successful career in hospitality.
This course is accredited by Edexcel.
This course covers general hospitality management units.
You will study 16 modules over a period of 2 years (full time) or 3 years (part time), before undertaking a research project, which will draw together everything you have learnt.
For Full Course Specification Visit: Course Specification
- The Contemporary Hospitality Industry
- The Developing Manager
- Customer Service
- Rooms Division Operations
- Food & Beverage Operations
- Hospitality Operations Management
- Management Accounting for Hospitality
- Industry Experience
- Food and Society
- Conference and Banqueting Management
- Facilities Operations
- Financial Management
- Information management and Technology
- Research Project
Assessment of BTEC Higher Nationals is by assignment, typically one or two assignments per unit. These assignments will vary and include a mix of formal reports, presentations and practical tasks, but there will be no formal exams.
All units will be individually graded as ‘pass’, ‘merit’ or ‘distinction’ To achieve a full qualification you must pass all 8 units to achieve the higher certificate and all 16 units to achieve the higher diploma.
This qualification is available to anyone aged 18 and above and is capable of reaching the required standards. Students need to demonstrate their ability through qualifications and/or experience which may be one of the following:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business
- One GCE A Level Pass in a relevant subject and 5 GCSE Grades at A* to C in subjects such as Maths and English
- Other related Level 3 qualifications
- An international equivalent of the above
- 5 GCSE Passes with a minimum of 3 years’ work experience in the business sector
- English language B2 or IELTS 5.5 (Reading and Writing must be at 5.5) An applicant’s prior learning may be considered for acceptance on the BTEC Higher Nationals, through Recognition of Prior Learning (A proven minimum 5 Years’ work experience in a relevant field
Method of Study
Its includes, for example, lectures, seminars, tutorials, presentations, group discussions, and case study analyses
Duration of the course
January, May & September
You may be eligible for financial support through Student Finance England (SFE). Please visit:
or call on 0300 100 0607 for information on your eligibility.